Wednesday, August 26, 2009

When it rains, it pours.

Yesterday was a pretty hectic day. We only have one vehicle, so I was up before dawn to get ready to drive Helen to work so that I could run errands, which included a health center appointment (unfortunately, we've been on some government assistance since I've been out of work--which has helped immensely but still not the most encouraging activity to do), get Menalaus's birthday gift from the mall, and stop off to get some bulk goods at Whole Foods at the way home. Boy, do I miss making Whole Foods a regular stop. Anyway, I was pretty sacked out, but I got everything ready for today's agenda-- set out my breakfast, vitamins, running stuff, etc.

Well, I'm only happy when it rains, but today it's been raining since before the sun came up and it's been the day from hell. The rain itself caused me to cancel my run; although I have absolutely no compunction about running in the rain, after having a week off from a head cold and being 5:30 a.m., it just wasn't going to happen. Plus, I sleep like a baby when it rains and I just couldn't rouse myself.



Despite the schedule change, I continued with the routine. Ajax got up early, but was pretty cooperative, and the day moved along swimmingly. I was getting ready for lunch (burgers and fries--fast food style at home) when I offered Ajax the opportunity to watch Star Wars for the morning. When I went to the basement to get the movie, I noticed the foundation had a long, dark streak of gray coming from the hot water heater. Of course, the heater leaked somehow and soaked the bottoms of a half-dozen boxes. When it rains...

I got the movie started and called the local plumbing company that we'd worked with before when the water softener exploded like a lawn sprinkler all over Helen last year. They made super arrangements to come after 3 p.m. today, which was cool since we're meeting to do the business plan for the preschool at 4 p.m. So, I asked the admin to make arrangements with the payment/financing company, and she called me back to tell me that the local branch of the lender closed and our $4000 line of credit for home improvement and repair is no longer available.

Add to this the fact that Menalaus has been screechy and fussy all morning, and has not wanted to nap a bit, and therefore has required pretty much my constant attention.

...it pours.

No comments:

Post a Comment